A little Chinese, a little Thai, and a lot of vegetables make this a delicious one plate meal. Creativity is the theme here. The sauce is the base and you can experiment with all the ingredients. The list for the sauce is just a basic game plan. The toasted sesame oil adds the authentic touch of an eastern meal.
45 minutes on average but widely depends on the vegetables you are including.
Total cooking time is about 20 minutes. Steaming takes several minutes for some of the vegetables and the sauce takes about 10 minutes to prepare in a Wok.
For the sauce:
- 2 TBS peanut oil or high temperature cooking oil (canola for example)
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ teaspoon galangal
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce (optional but lends an authentic flavor to the dish)
- 1 TBS soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons red chili oil or chili paste of your preference
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1.5 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil.
For the Tofu:
Cut the tofu in 1” squares and fry in a little peanut, coconut or other high heat oil. Put aside.
For the Vegetables:
Any veggies of your choosing work well in this dish. Some examples: onions, peppers, carrots, mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, potatoes, squash, zucchini, frozen corn and peas. Essentially add in the vegetables you like.
- Steam or parboil the broccoli, brussel sprouts, potatoes and carrots.
- Cut the vegetables in roughly the same size for even cooking. One inch cubes works well.
- Start by preparing all the ingredients for the sauce. Wash, chop and measure out the ingredients in individual bows. Collect cooking utensils and have them at hand. Preparing this “mise en place” ahead of time allows you to cook without having to stop and assemble items, which is required in this recipe.
- Wash, cut and steam vegetables if you are including vegetables that need to be parboiled.
- Heat the oil in a wok, dutch oven, or large frying pan.
- Add the garlic and stir fry 30 seconds just until the aroma is released
- Add in all the other ingredients for the sauce except for the starch and toasted sesame oil. Continue to cook for about 20 seconds stirring constantly.
- Add in the fried tofu cubes and vegetables that you have selected and cook until all the vegetables are tender.
- Mix the cornstarch with 1 TBS cold water. Stir this into the wok until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add a few drops of toasted sesame oil before removing wok from the heat.
Serve over pasta, rice, couscous, quinoa or any other grain of your choosing or just eat with a little bread.